Podcast: The Building BITE
Episode: 5 Considerations for Mass Timber Construction
Please tune in to this episode of The Building BITE Podcast, as we hear from industry experts about key topics to help you be successful. In this episode, hosts Peter Duggan and Mike Diercksen, CRIS, welcome Cheri Hanes, CRIS, LEED AP, Senior SDI Construction Risk Engineer at AXA XL.
Cheri leads off the show by sharing the inherent differences between Wood Frame and Mass Timber, highlighting the nuances of insuring one versus the other. There is a lot of data on light wood frames, but mass timber is still relatively new, which leaves questions around the unknowns. If data is absent, insurers tend to default conservative.
Cheri continues by sharing insights surrounding markets currently using mass timber and which sub-contractors are installing it. She then lays out several common risks for mass timber and how to manage them best. Finally, Cheri identifies the following five considerations:
- Understand who you're working with and their level of experience. Choose to do business with those with as much experience as possible.
- Be strategic with the placement strategy and use manufacturers' and consultant's expertise.
- Water – Put the right strategies in place to robustly manage water.
- Materials/supply chain – Understand and set up comms and tracking for the whole production and transportation network and then implement
- Fire – Lower risk than light wood frame, doesn't mean all the same strategies shouldn't be used.
Please like, share, and subscribe to this podcast!
Connect with Cheri on LinkedIn
View AXA XL’s website at https://axaxl.com/
Email Cheri at Cheri.firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect with Peter Duggan
Connect with Mike Diercksen